OSHA recently released a compliance directive titled Inspection Procedures for the COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standard. The directive is a guide for compliance officers implementing inspections and issuing citations involving:
- Employer COVID-19 Plans;
- Screening and Management;
- Standard and Transmission Based Precautions;
- Personal Protective Equipment;
- Aerosol-Generating Procedures;
- Physical Distancing;
- Cleaning and Disinfecting;
- Employee Health Screening and Medical Management;
- Requirements at No Cost;
- Recordkeeping; and
- Reporting to OSHA.
If OSHA’s new Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) on COVID-19 applies to your company, it may be helpful to understand what the agency’s compliance officers are looking for when they are inspecting affected workplaces, and how they are directed to issue citations for violations of the standard.