2023 Courses Full. Registration for 2024 Courses Opens February 15th at noon EST.
See Below for Details.
What Is It?
- An online program, intended to be a precursor to the MCAA’s Institute for Project Management, overseen by the same committee that manages the IPM and AIPM.
- A 12-course curriculum, taught as a series of 90-minute classes, covering topics fundamental to project management at an introductory level.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals on the project management track, who have relatively little (0-3 years) experience.
- This includes:
- Assistant Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Recent college graduates
- Employees transitioning from field to office, or from estimating to project management
- Pre-IPM is designed and taught by 6 experienced contractors and professional instructors who have first-hand understanding of the challenges facing project managers, and the skills required to meet those challenges.
- Each session is a combination of lecture and Q&A, ensuring that students are involved in a dynamic learning experience.
- Participants will complete weekly quizzes and homework assignments, demonstrating what they have learned.
- Upon completion of all course requirements (lectures, quizzes, and homework), students will receive MCAA Pre-IPM certification.
Curriculum Overview by Topic
- Understanding The Project Manager’s Role
- Planning: The Key to Successful Projects
- The Project Manager’s Impact on Productivity
- Knowing Your Costs, Catching Problems Early, and Getting Paid
- Documentation: Why Great Projects Need Great Records
- Project Scheduling: The Importance of Having a Clear Game Plan
- Relationships Are Everything: Understanding Yourself and Managing Others
- Being A Professional: Problem-Solving and Issue Resolution
- Change Orders 101: Identification, Importance, and Management
- Time Management & Personal Efficiency
- Leadership at All Levels: Your Ability to Influence Others
- Project Completion: Starting Strong and Finishing Stronger
How Will This Benefit My Workforce?
- The Pre-IPM curriculum is designed to build participants’ understanding of key components of mechanical project management.
- Pre-IPM will improve participants’ efficiency, management skills, and ability to adapt to change. Practical application is a core focus, and participants will walk away from each session with new ideas and skills to apply to their jobs.
- Students must attend all 12 lectures. Lectures will not be recorded.
- Students must complete all quizzes and submit all homework assignments by their respective deadlines to be eligible for Pre-IPM certification.
- Students must be able to participate on a computer (not a tablet or phone), with audio and video capability and a reliable high-speed internet connection that allows video streaming. Each student must be signed in on their own computer, and must be prepared to come onscreen and ask/respond to questions.
2024 Course Dates and Future Schedule
- Pre-IPM is run once a year, with multiple courses being offered during the same timeframe.
- All 2024 courses will begin the week of May 21st and conclude the week of August 20th, 2024.
- There will be no classes the weeks of May 28th or July 2nd, due to holidays.
- ‘Morning’ classes (odd-numbered) will take place 10:30am-12pm EDT (7:30am-9:00am PDT).
- ‘Afternoon’ classes (even-numbered) will take place 2:30pm-4pm EDT (11:30am-1pm PDT).
2024 REGISTRATION SCHEDULE
- Registration for our 2024 Pre-IPM courses will open at noon EST on February 15th, 2024.
- Registration is first-come, first-served.
- There is no limit on the number of participants a company may enroll.
- All registration will be done online, via this webpage. Once a registration period opens, there will be registration link provided in this section.
- Lectures are live (not recorded) and participants must attend all lectures to be eligible for certification.
- Registration is done via this page and is first-come, first-served.
- Participants must attend all sessions to be eligible for certification.
- The 2024 MCAA member rate for tuition is $1,025 per student, payable online during registration. Refunds will not be issued after the first day of class, nor for partial completion of the program.
- To register yourself, or someone else, both the registrant and the individual completing the registration must have an MCAA account. Please reach out to Jan Grillo to create an account.
- Account creation can take several days. Accounts should be created well in advance of the registration open date.
- Email the Registration Team at email@example.com.