The mission of your association’s Political Action Committee is simple but vital—to support candidates for Federal office who we hope will provide MCAA a fair hearing in federal public policy decisions. Our strategy is to continue to combine sound and vigorous public policy representation and advocacy with the use of appropriate political activity.
MCAA’s Government Affairs Committee tracks key issues in the federal public policymaking process. The Committee also pays attention to elected legislators and candidates who have a record of supporting the many issues that are of vital interest to MCAA member companies and their industry. The Committee, as a part of its oversight responsibility for the MCAA PAC, judges which candidates to support based on local affiliate recommendations. MCAA PAC is bipartisan.
Did You Know?
- MCAA pays for the PAC’s operating and solicitation costs. This allows all contributions to go to candidates’ campaigns (with the exception of taxes that must be paid with MCAA PAC funds).
- MCAA PAC has a “multicandidate” status, meaning that it can now contribute more to candidates—up to $5,400 per election (primaries, runoffs, and general elections are considered separate elections).
- MCAA PAC only solicits restricted class members—the principals of MCAA member firms. MCAA PAC does not solicit contributions from corporate members’ administrative personnel, stockholders, or their families.
How the Process Works
MCAA PAC is registered with the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the agency that administers the campaign finance laws. MCAA PAC must strictly adhere to the federal law that describes the process by which we raise funds for the PAC.
- Prospective contributors first complete solicitation authorization forms that allow MCAA PAC to send solicitation material.
- We welcome personal contributions to MCAA PAC, either online by credit card or by sending a check to MCAA PAC, 1385 Piccard Drive, Rockville, MD, 20850. You may give as much (up to the maximum limit of $5,000 per year) or as little as you like; the choice is yours!
- Remember, contributions are strictly voluntary but they are appreciated!
- Questions? Email John McNerney or give him a call (301-869-5800).
To Summarize the Key Points
- If you appreciate nothing else your association does for you, appreciate that we are your voice in the nation’s capital!
- Currently, the maximum an individual may contribute in one year is $5,000.
- You will need to fill out the prior authorization form, and fill in your company name.
- MCAA PAC contributions are not tax deductible.
- Contributions must be made with personal—not corporate—funds.
- We might suggest a contribution of $50, $100, $250 or $500, but any amount you contribute is appreciated.
- Oh, and contributors are the rock stars of our industry!