The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) fall protection standard Z359.14-2021, Safety Requirements for Self-Retracting Devices for Personal Fall Arrest and Rescue Systems, will go into effect on February 1, 2023. When it does, MCAA member companies will face several changes and additional testing requirements in an area that is among the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) most frequently cited violations. Prepare your company now by familiarizing yourself with the changes and purchasing equipment that meets the new standard.
ANSI Standard Highlights
- The standard was approved in Summer 2021
- It will go into effect in February 2023
- Class A and Class B go away
- They are replaced by Class 1 and Class 2
- Class 1 retractables must be used at the D ring or above.
- Class 2 retractables must be tested and must pass the Extreme Leading Edge Test
- Class 2 testing is done on a sharpened structural steel edge
- Class 2 must take a 5’ free fall
- Both Class 1 and Class 2 have a 42” average arrest distance and a 1350 pound average arrest force.
For detailed information, please review the attached slide deck.
If you have any questions, please contact MCAA’s Executive Director of Safety, Health, and Risk Management, Raffi Elchemmas.