October 13, 2020 - January 12, 2021
What Is It?
- A new online program, intended to be a precursor to the MCAA’s Institute for Project Management, overseen by the same committee that manages the IPM and AIPM.
- A 12-week curriculum, taught as a series of 90-minute classes, covering topics fundamental to project management at an introductory level.
- Pre-IPM is designed and taught by 6 experienced contractors and professional instructors who have first-hand understanding of the challenges facing project managers, and the skills required to meet those challenges.
- Each session is a combination of lecture and Q&A, ensuring that students are involved in a dynamic learning experience.
- Participants will complete weekly quizzes and homework assignments, demonstrating what they have learned.
- Upon completion of all course requirements (lectures, quizzes, and homework), students will receive MCAA Pre-IPM certification.
Curriculum Overview by Topic
- Understanding The Project Manager’s Role
- Planning: The Key to Successful Projects
- The Project Manager’s Impact on Productivity
- Knowing Your Costs, Catching Problems Early, and Getting Paid
- Documentation: Why Great Projects Need Great Records
- Project Scheduling: The Importance of Having a Clear Game Plan
- Relationships Are Everything: Understanding Yourself and Managing Others
- Being A Professional: Problem-Solving and Issue Resolution
- Change Orders 101: Identification, Importance, and Management
- Time Management & Personal Efficiency
- Leadership at All Levels: Your Ability to Influence Others
- Project Completion: Starting Strong and Finishing Stronger
How Will This Benefit My Workforce?
- The Pre-IPM curriculum is designed to build participants’ understanding of key components of mechanical project management.
- Pre-IPM will improve participants’ efficiency, management skills, and ability to adapt to change. Practical application is a core focus, and participants will walk away from each session with new ideas and skills to apply to their jobs.
- Students must attend all 12 lectures. Lectures will not be recorded. The class schedule is as follows:
All classes will take place on Tuesdays, 12:30 PM–2 PM EST
|October 13th||December 1st|
|October 20th||December 8th|
|October 27th||December 15th|
|November 3rd||December 22nd – No class Christmas|
|November 10th||December 29th – No class Christmas|
|November 17th||January 5th|
|November 24th – No class Thanksgiving||January 12th|
- Students must complete all quizzes and submit all homework assignments to be eligible for Pre-IPM certification.
- Students must be able to participate on a computer (not a tablet or phone), with audio and video capability and a reliable high-speed internet connection that allows video streaming. Students must be prepared to come onscreen and ask/respond to questions.
0-3 years of Project Management