May 23, 2022 - August 22, 2022
2:30 pm - 4:00 pm EST
What Is It?
- A new online program, intended to be a precursor to the MCAA’s Institute for Project Management, overseen by the same committee that manages the IPM and AIPM.
- A 12-week curriculum, taught as a series of 90-minute classes, covering topics fundamental to project management at an introductory level.
- Pre-IPM is designed and taught by 6 experienced contractors and professional instructors who have first-hand understanding of the challenges facing project managers, and the skills required to meet those challenges.
- Each session is a combination of lecture and Q&A, ensuring that students are involved in a dynamic learning experience.
- Participants will complete weekly quizzes and homework assignments, demonstrating what they have learned.
- Upon completion of all course requirements (lectures, quizzes, and homework), students will receive MCAA Pre-IPM certification.
Curriculum Overview by Topic
- Understanding The Project Manager’s Role
- Planning: The Key to Successful Projects
- The Project Manager’s Impact on Productivity
- Knowing Your Costs, Catching Problems Early, and Getting Paid
- Documentation: Why Great Projects Need Great Records
- Project Scheduling: The Importance of Having a Clear Game Plan
- Relationships Are Everything: Understanding Yourself and Managing Others
- Being A Professional: Problem-Solving and Issue Resolution
- Change Orders 101: Identification, Importance, and Management
- Time Management & Personal Efficiency
- Leadership at All Levels: Your Ability to Influence Others
- Project Completion: Starting Strong and Finishing Stronger
How Will This Benefit My Workforce?
- The Pre-IPM curriculum is designed to build participants’ understanding of key components of mechanical project management.
- Pre-IPM will improve participants’ efficiency, management skills, and ability to adapt to change. Practical application is a core focus, and participants will walk away from each session with new ideas and skills to apply to their jobs.
- Students must attend all 12 lectures. Lectures will not be recorded.
- Students must complete all quizzes and submit all homework assignments to be eligible for Pre-IPM certification.
- Students must be able to participate on a computer (not a tablet or phone), with audio and video capability and a reliable high-speed internet connection that allows video streaming. Students must be prepared to come onscreen and ask/respond to questions.
- Registration for 2022 PIPM Classes Will Open at Noon EST on Thursday, February 24th.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and the course is capped at 75 participants.
- Registration will take place online, and on the above registration date the link will be available on the course webpage, where you can also find a full list of class dates and additional information about the program.
- To register yourself, or someone else, both the registrant and the individual completing the registration must have an MCAA account. Any employee of an MCAA member company can create an account.
- Contact Sobeida Orantes (email@example.com; 301-990-2207)
Individuals on the project management track, who have relatively little (0-3 years) experience. This includes: Assistant Project Managers Project Engineers Recent college graduates Employees transitioning from field to office, or from estimating to project management